Sabado, Abril 21, 2012

The Sixth Sense

It's been a while since I've written a film review and as of the moment I am under the influence of alcohol so forgive my grammatical errors :) Thank you :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Sixth Sense
Rating : 4/5


       "A horror movie with a story". Well, if you want films which depict the previously mentioned, then the Sixth Sense is a film for you. It's very rare that you find horror films of this kind. My brother told me that it was boring and discouraged me to watch this film but as a horror movie enthusiast, I cannot resist watching this kind of movie. If I didn't watch the Sixth Sense, then I must say I would have lost a great deal. A lot of modern day horror/thriller/suspense movies have lacked a good plot. Most would just have the morbid stuff, the shocking musical score and the gory faces of the ghosts but in the end, a critical viewer would just say that the movie was simply empty.

       The Sixth Sense didn't have me jolting from my seat due to fear and anxiety. I had a few scares. Now, it must be baffling to you why I still gave it a 4. I've watched creepy movies ever since I was a child. The Exorcist scared the hell out of me and left me a little frantic. The Sixth Sense didn't do the same. As a horror movie, it wasn't really scary. As a whole, well, it was a gorgeous and cleverly done movie. It's my favorite among the Shymalan's creations. It's a paradigm shift from the menacing pictures other movies portray about ghosts. It was just simple and believable in the minimalists sense. In an effortless way, it will give you creeps. It just proves that there is actually no dire need to have those grandiose effects to send the audience screaming and say that it is one hell of a good horrifying and nerve-wracking movie.

        Furthermore, the actors were really good especially the one who played as Cole. Haley Joel Osment did a fantastic job. The movie wouldn't be so much effective without him. His fear in the movie almost felt real. Oh, and Bruce Willis was also good. To tell you honestly, when I saw his name on the DVD case, I became quite incredulous on how he's going to deliver it because I've only watched his action films. But man, I was so wrong. I cannot really say that he was perfect for the role but he did justice to the movie. Another plus side for the movie is the script. Whoever made it, hands down. Very rare do movies of this genre actually has meaning and words that stick in the minds of the viewers. There are actually only two things that I wish were done in the movie: (1) I wish it was more elaborated and (2) A few more scares.

       I was really happy I didn't listen to my brother's advice of not watching the movie. I don't recommend this to those who prefer to watch hardcore bloodshed or over the top freaky movies because I am pretty sure that you'll end up being bored, just like my brother. If you want movies that will give you creeps but definitely has a story, then you must really watch this. The Sixth Sense is not just a typical horror movie of a child who has the ability to see dead people; it is a movie that actually makes sense.

PS. The ending was gorgeous :)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento